Welcome to Boston School International. I hope as you read through our website you will gain a sense of our school family, which is made up of enthusiastic students, dedicated faculty and staff, as well as parents who support academic excellence. Regardless of what continent, nationality, or cultural background one comes from, our goal is to provide a global educational experience that meets the academic, social, physical and emotional needs of every student. This goal provides our focus as we develop our curriculum, plan our instruction, and develop our co-curricular activities.
BSI provides students with a comprehensive university preparatory education utilizing best practices in education. Our students are challenged to reach their maximum potential through academic growth, becoming socially responsible and active global citizens. The use of technology and achievement of educational competence are critical as we meet the needs of our students, but they alone are not what makes BSI such a unique place to live and learn. At BSI we believe it is also the close relationships between students, faculty, and parents that makes us unique from other schools in Panama. The size of our school and the size of our classes allow students and teachers to form close relationships where it is possible for every student to be known and nurtured. In addition, we are able to have close ties with our parent community so that parents, teachers, and students are all closely involved in the education of each child.
Our website provides information on many facets of the Boston International School, which we hope will help you to understand the qualities and characteristics that differentiate us from other schools. If you are not part of the BSI community, and after viewing our website you are intrigued, please contact us to continue this as a personal conversation. We can schedule a tour of our campus which is centrally located next to the Balboa Theater in Ancon, Panama city, Panama. I look forward to the day you can visit us and we can meet in person.
Paul D. Combs
PAUL COMBS, HEADMASTER CURRICULUM VITAE
- Paul Combs has a total of thirty-seven years’ experience as a teacher, principal and headmaster. Mr. Combs began his career in education as an elementary teacher in 1977, then later became a Middle School Teacher and Assistant Principal in Dayton, Tennessee, USA. After eleven years, Paul, Antoinette and their son, David, moved to Jeddah, Saudi Arabia where he served as the secondary school principal of Saudi-SAIS. His accomplishments there included managing and keeping the school open during the 1st Gulf War.
- In 1993 Mr. Combs was called to serve as a Middle School Deputy Principal for the Singapore American School. At SAS he served on two successful accreditation teams and both quality assurance visits received exemplary status. He also led in the design and building of a state of the art new campus. The enrollment of SAS nearly doubled the eight years he served as a principal, making Singapore American School one of the largest American international schools in the world. In the middle school alone Mr. Combs was responsible for supervising more than 750 students, as well as 80 faculty and staff.
- After eight years in Singapore, Mr. Combs and his wife returned back to the Middle East in 2001 where Mr. Combs served as the Middle School Principal and Deputy Head of School at the American Community School in Beirut, Lebanon. His accomplishments at ACS included being trained and certified by the IBO as a coordinator, serving on IBO and American accreditation committees, as well as making multiple physical improvements to what is one of the oldest international schools. He also wrote and implemented a comprehensive disaster and emergency plan which had to be utilized when a car bomb was exploded just outside of the school’s walls in 2004.
- With the escalation of hostilities within Lebanon and across the Middle East, Mr. Combs and his wife decided to move to safer environs in 2005, accepting a Principal position at the International School of Curitiba in Brazil. After three years the Combs’ moved to Guatemala where Mr. Combs served as the Director of School for Colegio Maya for one year before returning to ISC in Curitiba, Brazil in 2009.
- Mr. Combs’ accomplishments at the International School of Curitiba are especially noteworthy and included increasing the number of IB course offerings and more importantly the gradual improvement of IB test scores annually, and implementing Measures of Academic Progress (MAP) Testing which creates a personalized assessment experience for students. He also implemented Spanish as a second language, led in the research and implementation of an on-line grading program called Jupiter grades.
- Mr. Combs has a BS Degree in Elementary Education from Bryan College and a MA Degree in Administration and Supervision from Tennessee Technological University. He also has completed the necessary coursework to earn an Ed.D Degree in Leadership Studies from the University of San Diego in California once his dissertation is completed.
CARMEN PILE, ACADEMIC DIRECTOR
I am truly honored to become part of the Boston International School administration staff as the Academic Director. I strongly believe in the importance of teachers, parents and administrators collaborating and communicating openly and frequently in order to achieve holistic educational goals and a win-win scenario.
- Subject matter expertise in educational programs, curriculum, pedagogy, and instruction strategies.
- Related administrative experience to assure success in an Academic Coordinator role.
- Ability to lead collaboratively with empathy, care and praise, to encourage and respect independent thought, cultural competence.
- Ability to support and promote diversity and a student-centered approach.
- Ability to create and maintain a respectfully school culture of options for students and staff.
- Promote critical impact on the goals, organization and administration of educational programs, staff, students and services of the school.
- Supervisory responsibility for planning, assigning, reviewing and evaluating the quality and quantity of work of professionals
2005 Ministry of Education/Puerto Rico University TEFL Certification
2003 Columbus University Master Degree in TESOL
2002 Cartago University Master in School Administration
2000 UNIEDPA Post Graduate Degree in Higher Education
2000 University of Panama Secondary School Teachers Majoring in English
1973 Instituto Normal Rubiano Elementary School Teacher
2003- 2016 University of Panama English Professor
2013-2015 Caribbean International School Academic Coordinator (k- 12 grade)
2004-2012 Ministry of Education Dean of the National Institute, English Supervisor of the Regional Board of Education of Panama Center
1974- 2004 Ministry of Education Director of elementary schools English and Physical Education Teacher
Founding member of Delta Kappa Gamma Society (International enterprising teachers).
MARIO SYLVANDER, CURRICULUM DIRECTOR AND COLLEGE COUNSELOR